WASHINGTONPlease consider copying/pasting the following into a message to Senator Casey, Senator Toomey, and Congressman Fitzpatrick (https://www.votervoice.net/NCHLA/Campaigns/30688/Respond):
"We need you to OPPOSE HR 1755 / S815, which the US Conference of
Catholic Bishops is concerned 'could be used to punish as discrimination
what the Catholic Church teaches.' In the interest of basic human dignity - particularly the welfare of children - we also need your CO-SPONSORSHIP/ SUPPORT of
HJ Res 51,
HR 732 / S 32 / S 369,
HR 940 / S 1204,
HR 1091 / S 583,
HR 7 / S 946,
HR 1797 / S 1670 / S 886,
HR 301 / S 653, and
- "This coming week, the National Pro Life Alliance anticipates that the nominations of ardently pro abortion Cornelia Pillard, Robert Wilkins, and Patricia Millett (to the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals) will come before the U.S. Senate; We ask that you oppose those nominations.
- "As per the American Life League's 2013 Study on Planned Parenthood Federation of America, 'Tax funding PPFA is too often debated as an ''either-or'' proposition, as if healthcare for underserved women and the poor depended on the decision....With other choices available, neither the American taxpayer nor healthcare in general benefits by funding an organization dedicated (by choice) to abortion." Please work to de-fund Planned Parenthood."
Marriage - Oppose HR 1755 / S 815; Support HR 3133 and HJ Res 51
S 815 - As per the USCCB's 10/31/13 letter to the U.S. Senate,
- Lacks a BFOQ exemption. ENDA does not include an exemption for a 'bona fide occupational qualification' (BFOQ)....
- Lacks a status/conduct distinction. ENDA’s vague definition of 'sexual orientation' would encompass sexual conduct outside of marriage, thus legally affirming and specially protecting that conduct.
- Supports marriage redefinition....
- Rejects the biological basis of gender. ENDA’s definition of 'gender identity' lends force of law to a tendency to view 'gender' as nothing more than a social construct or psychosocial reality, which a person may choose at variance from his or her biological sex. This provision also fails to account for the privacy interests of others....
- Threatens religious liberty. ENDA could be used to punish as discrimination what many religions – including the Catholic religion – teach, particularly moral teaching about same-sex sexual conduct. Moreover, the bill’s religious freedom protection, which is derived from Title VII, covers only a subset of religious employers, and as a result of recent litigation, is uncertain in scope. Recent experience also shows that even exempted employers may face government retaliation for relying on such exemptions.
- "We write to you regarding S. 815, the Employment Non-Discrimination Act of 2013 (ENDA). Our purpose is to outline some of the serious concerns we have with this legislation and why we oppose it....the USCCB continues to promote the dignity of both work and marriage and to oppose unjust discrimination on any grounds, including those related to homosexual inclination or sexual identity. But we cannot support a bill, like ENDA, that does not justly advance the dignity of all workers and authentic non-discrimination, but instead:
"U.S. Senators Pat Toomey (R-PA) and Bob Casey (D-PA) voted today in favor of the Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA)” (Bucks Local News, 11/7/13). Toomey's favorable vote came after the defeat of his own proposed amendment to add a religious exemption! Huh???
HR 3133 and HJ Res 51 - Tell Fitzpatrick to Co-Sponsor and Support
Abortion Insurance Full Disclosure Act of 2013 - Support HR 3279
Child Interstate Abortion Notification Act - Support HR 732 / S 32 / S 369
Health Care Conscience Rights Act - Support HR 940 / S 1204
Life at Conception Act - Support HR 1091 / S 583
No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion Act - Support HR 7 / S 946
Pain Capable Unborn Child Protection Act - Support HR 1797/ S 1670 / S 886
"Sen. Lindsey Graham introduced a bill...that would ban most abortions nationwide after 20 weeks of pregnancy [S. 1670] ....Mr. Graham said advancements in science and technology have shown that unborn children can feel pain after about six months and that he is speaking up on their behalf by pushing the Pain Capable Unborn Child Protection Act....A similar proposal passed the House in June by a vote of 228-196" (Washington Times, 11/7/13). Neither Senator Casey nor Senator Toomey are co-sponsors of S. 1670. However, kudos go to Pat Toomey for being one of the 34 co-sponsors of S. 886 (Bob Casey is NOT a co-sponsor of S. 886.).