The USCCB's "Alerts Central" (http://cqrcengage.com/catholicbishops/action) invites and facilitates action in support of the
- Marriage Protection Amendment (HJ Res 51),
- Marriage and Religious Freedom Act (HR 3133 / S 1808),
- State Marriage Defense Act (HR 3829 / S 2024),
- No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion Act (HR 7 / S 946),
- Health Care Conscience Rights Act (HR 940 /
the Pa Catholic Conference also facilitates action on the Health Care Conscience Rights Act .),
- Child Welfare Provider Inclusion Act of 2014 (HR 5285 / S 2706), and the
- U.S. Commission on International Religious Freedom Reauthorization Act (HR 4653)
"With 75% of the world’s population living in countries where governments or societies restrict religious freedom, the need to protect this vital human right is greater than ever. What is happening to Christians and religious minorities in Iraq is evidence of the dire circumstances facing many because of their faith. USCCB supports having the Senate pass H.R. 4653 as it represents the best option for extending the mandate of USCIRF for 5 years since it enjoyed strong bipartisan support when it passed the House on July 8, 2014. Since USCIRF’s mandate expires September 30, 2014, your Senator needs to hear from you to urge them to advance the bill to the full Senate for a vote. Tell your senator on the Committee to support quick passage of H.R. 4653. H.R. 4653 will strengthen USCIRF’s work to advance religious freedom by encouraging rapid appointments of Commissioners, increased access to relevant information, and further integration of religious freedom into U.S. foreign policy development and training. In response to the call of Pope Francis to promote the religious freedom of all, urge the Senate to pass H.R. 4653 so that USCIRF can continue its vital work to protect religious freedom around the world."
As per the USCCB, "Action alerts for pro-life issues can also be found through our partner organization, the National Committee for the Human Life Amendment....Action alerts for issues related to immigration reform can be found through the USCCB-led Catholic coalition, Justice for Immigrants."
- OPPOSE the so-called Protect Women's Health from Corporate Interference Act (HR 5051/S2578)
- SUPPORT "just and compassionate immigration reform" (The Pa Catholic Conference also facilitates support for immigration reform.)
On a state level, the Pennsylvania Catholic Conference's "Current Alerts" facilitate messages of gratitude for the
- Down Syndrome Prenatal and Postnatal Education Act (HB 2111/SB 1339) and
- SB 75 (for battling human trafficking).
- equal education funding, and of
- Marriage (This forms a message of encouragement to Theresa Gaffney, Clerk of the Orphan's Court of Schuylkill County, who is trying to defend marriage in Pa. It would seem that sponsors of HB 1349. also merit our encouragement.)
- HB 162 (NOTE: While ostensibly about giving adoptees full access to information about their birth parents, this blogger has noticed that HB 162 says NOTHING about giving access to information, when one biological parent was a so-called "egg donor" or a so-called "sperm donor." Privacy rights of biological parents who chose life could be overridden, while those playing God continue to have absolute protection!)
- HB300/SB300 (NOTE: The Pa Catholic Conference describes this legislation as "intolerant and prejudiced against people of faith." It should be noted that Governor Corbett (a Catholic) supports this legislation (cf., Philadelphia Inquirer, 12/19/13). Also, both HB 300 and SB 300 count Catholics among their co-sponsors.), and the
- death penalty (i.e., contact to Gov. Corbett).
Please contact Gov Corbett, Lt Gov Cawley and all of Bucks County's representatives and senators in Harrisburg, to OPPOSE HB162, to OPPOSE HB300/SB300 and to SUPPORT Marriage.
what is good and pleasing and perfect" (Second Reading)