in Pennsylvania's First Congressional District
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsylvania's_1st_congressional_district http://archphila.org/pastplan/MAPS/Arch.pdf
and the Central Garden State

Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Daniel Murphy: a Christian on baseball's center stage

As per Father Michael Duffy, "As I saw Daniel Murphy hit yet another homer, I couldn’t help but read up on him. I had remembered that Murphy was Christian, outspoken at times, and that he had skipped out on opening day because his wife was giving birth, saying he was a father before he was a ball player....In one interview he was asked how he kept calm during an intense moment, and his response was quick, unrehearsed and to the point: 'That was the Holy Spirit, that was Jesus. That was the only thing that kept me calm.'  That’s faith.  And as a priest, I very much appreciated his prayer request: 'Pray that I’ll seek holiness, not base hits.'  That’s humility" (Dan Murphy Brings Faith, Humility and Class to the Mets Post-Season, 10/21/15).

That's Love

It is unfortunate that Father Duffy pulls up short of praising Daniel Murphy for the authentic Christian love, which he espouses.  Back in March, "the Mets welcomed Billy Bean, Major League Baseball's inclusion ambassador and the second major league player to announce he was gay after the end of a six-year career, into their spring training camp....The Mets consulted players this winter before bringing Bean in and Murphy called the idea 'forward thinking'....Murphy, a devout Christian, said he would embrace Bean despite a divergence in their beliefs.
'I disagree with his lifestyle.  I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual. That doesn't mean I can't still invest in him and get to know him. I don't think the fact that someone is a homosexual should completely shut the door on investing in them in a relational aspect. Getting to know him. That, I would say, you can still accept them but I do disagree with the lifestyle, 100 percent.....Maybe, as a Christian, that we haven't been as articulate enough in describing what our actual stance is on homosexuality....We love the people. We disagree the lifestyle. That's the way I would describe it for me. It's the same way that there are aspects of my life that I'm trying to surrender to Christ in my own life. There's a great deal of many things, like my pride. I just think that as a believer trying to articulate it in a way that says just because I disagree with the lifestyle doesn't mean I'm just never going to speak to Billy Bean every time he walks through the door. That's not love. That's not love at all" (Mets ask Billy Bean to suit up, but how do players feel about gay player in baseball?  NJ.Com, 3/3/15).
"When asked Tuesday evening by the The News if he understands that gay people would take offense to the term 'lifestyle,' Murphy said, 
'That’s why we’re having a conversation right now. And I completely understand why someone who believes it is not a choice, that you’re born with it, would take issue with my beliefs, that it is a lifestyle.  I feel like acceptance, embracing — that falls short. You understand what I’m saying? I love this person. The same way I love my wife, even though I don’t always agree with everything she does, I love her. I can love a teammate, even though I disagree with the choices he makes” (Mets' Daniel Murphy: I disagree with gay lifestyle, 3/3/15).
When even his employer responded by "throwing him under the bus" (cf, Murphy now to talk baseball only
ESPN, 3/4/15), Murphy must have taken solace in our Lord's words:
"Blessed are you when they insult you and persecute you and utter every kind of evil against you [falsely] because of me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward will be great in heaven. Thus they persecuted the prophets who were before you" (Matthew 5: 11, 12).
What a delight to now have Murphy as the toast of the town!

No comments:

Post a Comment

home page links

The 10 Commandments

The Beatitudes (from "Jesus of Nazareth")