4/1/17, Saturday of the 4th Week of Lent
- "Israelis should not have to live in fear of Hamas' indiscriminate rocket attacks on civilian areas. At the same time, Palestinians should not have to live in fear for their lives from air and ground attacks or to suffer the humiliations of occupation....In August 2015, Israel's Supreme Court granted approval for the building of a separation barrier through the pristine Cremisan Valley. The Cremisan Valley lies in the West Bank on the Palestinian side of the Green Line, adjacent to Beit Jala and Bethlehem. The separation barrier through the Cremisan Valley will have devastating effects for the local community, confiscating Palestinian agricultural and recreational lands of over 50 Christian families. This threatens the livelihoods of the remaining Christian community of Bethlehem....The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops has long supported a two-state solution, secure and recognized Israel living in peace alongside a viable and independent Palestinian state. USCCB asks you to urge Congress to press Israeli authorities to stop the work on the Separation Wall in the Cremisan Valley" (https://www.votervoice.net/USCCB/Campaigns/44852/Respond).
- Good Friday collection supports Church in the Holy Land (CatholicHerald.co.uk, 3/22/17)
- Egypt defuses bomb placed in church (Middle East Monitor, 3/30/17)
- "The desolation of a burned Iraqi church left Argentine-born missionary Father Luis Montes with the firm conviction that Satan is at the root of the attacks, and Christians must pray for the conversion of ISIS" (EWTN/CNA, 3/31/17).
- Don't believe in hell? You haven't seen Syria lately, cardinal says (Catholic News Agency, 3/30/17)