in Pennsylvania's First Congressional District
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsylvania's_1st_congressional_district http://archphila.org/pastplan/MAPS/Arch.pdf
and the Central Garden State

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Your Emminence:

With great interest I read your remarks on the Al Smith Dinner from the Feast of St. Maximillian  Kolbe.
    "The objections are somewhat heightened this year, since the Catholic community in the United States has rightly expressed vigorous criticism of the President’s support of the abortion license, and his approval of mandates which radically intruded upon Freedom of Religion. We bishops, including yours truly, have been unrelenting in our opposition to these issues, and will continue to be....
    "Some have told me the invitation is a scandal. That charge weighs on me, as it would on any person of faith, but especially a pastor, who longs to give good example, never bad. So, I apologize if I have given such scandal. I suppose it’s a case of prudential judgment: would I give more scandal by inviting the two candidates, or by not inviting them?....

    "In the end, I’m encouraged by the example of Jesus, who was blistered by his critics for dining with those some considered sinners; and by the recognition that, if I only sat down with people who agreed with me, and I with them, or with those who were saints, I’d be taking all my meals alone."
Your Emminence, dining with Jesus was never a photo-op for anyone.  That seems to be the crux of the objections of the numerous Catholics who feel that you are inadvertently sending the wrong message.  Have you considered letting the Al Smith Dinner go on - without yourself, Governor Romney, and President Obama?  I am not being flip but quite serious.  If just the three of you met at your residence, I believe that it could allay many people's concern about scandal.  You could even give it a distinctly New York flavor by sending out for a few pizzas!

Thank you,

No comments:

Post a Comment

home page links

The 10 Commandments

The Beatitudes (from "Jesus of Nazareth")