April 29, 1PM - Show Support for HB 1762 on the Main Capitol Steps in HarrisburgAs per the Pro Life Coalition of Pennsylvania, H.B. 1762 would require "abortionists to have admitting privileges at a hospital within 30 miles of the abortion facility where they plan to commit abortions. Such a requirement provides some minimal assurance of the medical competence of a physician intending to commit abortions....Because of the medically incompetent background of many abortionists, such legislation has resulted in the closure of abortion facilities in other states." Kudos to Bucks County's Rep Paul Clymer, who joined in introducing H.B. 1762!
May 2, 5:30PM - "The Manhattan Declaration in Philadelphia"
May 20 - Primaries in PennsylvaniaAs per a 4/16/14 alert from the Pennsylvania Pro-Life Federation, "2014 is a critical election year in Pennsylvania. Our primary on May 20th and our general election on November 4th will set the stage for public policies for years to come. While the pro-life movement is a civil rights movement and boasts members of all different faiths, it is also a movement powered by prayer. Please pray that voters this year will elect candidates who will protect and defend innocent human life from conception to natural death."
Whatever their official political affiliation, pro life / pro family people often vote for Republican candidates because of the sanctity of life and the sanctity of marriage. Yet despite "pro life" majorities in both chambers in Harrisburg - as well as a "pro life" governor and a "pro life" lieutenant governor - Obamacare elective abortion opt out legislation was painfully slow, ultrasound legislation was abandoned, and Planned Parenthood continues to get funded! Governor Corbett has indicated that he would sign HB 300 / SB 300, which the Pa Catholic Conference describes as "intolerant and prejudiced against people of faith." Is this any way to treat your friends?
It seems obvious that no pro life / pro family person could support a candidate like Allyson Schwartz for governor. Yet, Corbett and others in Harrisburg should be reminded that they need the support of pro life / pro family people. Why aren't we DEMANDING more for life and marriage? No candidates should think that they automatically have our votes - no matter what they do and what they FAIL to do.
In addition to Gov. Corbett and Lt. Gov. Cawley, all those representing Bucks County in the Pennsylvania House and the Pennsylvania Senate are up for re-election in 2014. What can you do?
- The Pa Catholic Conference supports SB 75 [to stop Human Trafficking], as well as Marriage and Pennsylvania's DOMA. The Pa Catholic Conference has also described how the Pa ''House of Representatives passed House Bill 587 to increase the penalty for those who commit the crime of impersonating a doctor of medicine.'' The Pa Catholic Conference OPPOSES HB 162 and HB 300 / SB 300. You can click to Email Gov. Corbett and all of Bucks County's representatives and senators (i.e., Rep. Clymer, Rep. Davis, Rep. DiGirolomo, Rep. Farry, Rep. Galloway, Rep. O'Neill, Rep. Petri, Rep. Quinn, Rep. Santarsiero, Rep. Watson, Sen. Greenleaf, Sen. McIlhinney, Sen. Mensch, and Sen. Tomlinson) on these matters.
- Click to Email a request that Representatives DiGirolamo, Galloway, and Watson (who are believed to be pro life) join Representative Clymer (and Rep DiGirolamo???) as co-sponsors of Admitting Privileges Legislation (HB 1762), and that they reintroduce Ultrasound Legislation.
- Click to Email Gov. Corbett and all of Bucks County's representatives and senators in Harrisburg, asking that they support Chloe's Law and OPPOSE SB 872. Chloe's Law is meant to battle the silent genocide of pre-born children with Down Syndrome (http://tinyurl.com/HelpChloe). SB 872 would mirror poorly advised legislation from California and New Jersey.
It seems obvious that no pro life / pro family person could support either Kevin Strouse or Shaughnessy Naughton in the 8th Congressional District. Yet, Mike Fitzpatrick needs to be reminded that he needs the support of pro life / pro family people. Why aren't we DEMANDING more for life and marriage? No candidate should think that he automatically has our votes - no matter what he does and what he FAILS to do.
Mike Fitzpatrick does deserve kudos for his votes on HR 7, HR 1797, and HR 301, as well as his co-sponsorship of HR 732, HR 940, and HR 3979. Now is a great time to remind him that we need him to unapologetically co-sponsor/support HR 3279, HJRes51, HR3133, HR3829, and HR 1091. Mike Fitzpatrick also needs to clearly OPPOSE HR1755, HR2278, and Planned Parenthood! Mike Fitzpatrick needs to stand tall and come out in defense of marriage/family. What can you do?
June 7 - "The Pill Kills"Even dedicated pro life people make the mistake of hugely underestimating abortion numbers. When you count abortions from chemical and mechanical methods, there have been 308,000,000 in the United States, since Roe v. Wade (cf, Pharmacists for Life International )! For example, all hormonal "contraceptives" can work as abortifacients - not just Plan B. On June 7, the American Life League's STOPP International, is urging law-abiding, peaceful, prayerful local efforts to focus "on the death and damage heaped upon women and babies by [so-called] contraceptives" (cf., http://www.stopp.org/article.php?id=13684). In addition to all those local pharmacies (including those in department stores and supermarkets) selling abortifacients/contraceptives, 2 of the world's "leading" manufacturers of "the Pill" are headquartered in our own backyard: Teva of North Wales and Wyeth of St. Davids (See http://contraceptive.ippf.org/search and www.thepill.com.).
June 19 - March for MarriageThe Catholic Church proclaims the truth, that "The origin of human life has its authentic context in marriage and the family, where it is generated in an act which expresses the reciprocal love between a man and a woman" (Dignitas Personae, 9/8/08). The rights of kids to a mom and dad (married to each other) was also the message of the 2013 March for Marriage. This is a social justice issue - a civil rights issue. It takes nothing away from the heroic struggle of "single parents" abandoned by spouses, to acknowledge that:
- children have the right to both a mom and a dad, and
- children have the right for their mom and dad to be married to each other.
- "The first setting in which faith enlightens the human city is the family. I think first and foremost of the stable union of man and woman in marriage. This union is born of their love, as a sign and presence of God's own love, and of the acknowledgement and acceptance of the goodness of sexual differentiation, whereby spouses can become one flesh (cf. Gen 2:24) and are enabled to give birth to a new life, a manifestation of the Creator's goodness, wisdom and loving plan" (Lumen Fidei, 6/29/13).
- "the family is the fundamental cell of society, where we learn to live with others despite our differences and to belong to one another; it is also the place where parents pass on the faith to their children. Marriage now tends to be viewed as a form of mere emotional satisfaction that can be constructed in any way or modified at will" (Evangelii Gaudium, 11/24/13).
- The Sacrament of Matrimony "leads us to the heart of God’s design, which is a plan for a Covenant with his people, with us all, a plan for communion. At the beginning of the Book of Genesis, the first book of the Bible, at the culmination of the creation account it says: 'God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.... Therefore a man leaves his father and his mother and cleaves to his wife, and they become one flesh' (Gen 1:27; 2:24). The image of God is the married couple: the man and the woman; not only the man, not only the woman, but both of them together. This is the image of God: love, God’s covenant with us is represented in that covenant between man and woman. And this is very beautiful! We are created in order to love, as a reflection of God and his love. And in the marital union man and woman fulfil this vocation through their mutual reciprocity and their full and definitive communion of life" (General Audience, 4/2/14).
- "it is necessary to reaffirm the right of children to grow up in a family, with a father and a mother capable of creating an ideal environment for their development and emotional maturity" (Discourse to the Delegation of the International Catholic Office of Children, 4/11/14).