- The Importance of ‘Humanae Vitae’ — a Testimony to the Truth (Archbishop Chaput, National Catholic Register, 6/20/17)
- "Published on July 25, 1968, Humanae Vitae stunned the world
by reiterating the Church’s perennial teachings against artificial
contraception, at a time when many people – including many of Paul VI’s
own advisors on the subject – expected and were urging him to do the
"it is evident there is a great need to remind ourselves of just how prophetic Humanae Vitae was and why its teaching must be upheld, defended, and vigorously taught.
"Perhaps the most famous sentence from Humane Vitae is found in section 17, where Paul VI describes the 'consequences' of embracing artificial contraception. That great pope predicted:
- A general lowering of moral standards throughout society; a rise in
infidelity; a lessening of respect for women by men; and the coercive
use of reproductive technologies by governments.
- Another effect that gives cause for alarm is that a man who grows
accustomed to the use of contraceptive methods may forget the reverence
due to a woman, and, disregarding her physical and emotional
equilibrium, reduce her to being a mere instrument for the satisfaction
of his own desires, no longer considering her as his partner whom he
should surround with care and affection.
"It is heartbreaking now, 49 years later, to realize how painfully right Paul VI was....
"unthinkable evil can be traced to one single thing: the severing of sexuality from the only place it belongs – marriage – and from its primary purpose – procreation....
"Humanae Vitae is perhaps the most-hated and most-rejected encyclical in history. And yet, Paul VI himself knew that he was simply doing what any loving father does: helping his children understand and live within the life-giving laws that are the only path towards happiness and fulfillment. For as he wrote:
In preserving intact the whole moral law
of marriage, the Church is convinced that she is contributing to the
creation of a truly human civilization. She urges man not to betray his
personal responsibilities by putting all his faith in technical
expedients. In this way she defends the dignity of husband and wife.
This course of action shows that the Church, loyal to the example and
teaching of the divine Savior, is sincere and unselfish in her regard
for men whom she strives to help even now during this earthly pilgrimage 'to share God’s life as sons of the living God, the Father of all men'"
- Advocates urge more awareness about natural family planning options (CatholicPhilly.com, 7/21/17)
- The Church, Society, and Sex (Catholic World Report, 7/21/17)
- Mariage/Family/Sexuality and God's beautiful plan for human happiness (7/1/17)