"The historic struggle for African Americans’ equality under the law was represented at this ceremony by the Holy Scriptures belonging to the man who freed the slaves and the man who led the civil rights movement. The fulfillment of this struggle would be represented by our nation’s first black president.
"Unfortunately, the gesture was not symbolic. It was ironic.
"Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. believed God’s word. He took his Bible very seriously—so seriously that he repeatedly risked his life to proclaim its message of love for God and love for neighbor. Uncle M.L., like everyone, was far from perfect, but he loved the Lord. It was God’s word that he used to unite a movement and change a nation.
"But Obama’s support of abortion, same-sex marriage, and free contraception under his unpopular Obamacare reform is difficult to reconcile with my uncle’s legacy as a man of God.
"I had hoped and prayed that when the president handled the Bible, it would accidentally open to where it says 'Choose life,' or 'God hates the shedding of innocent blood.' I was hoping it would just shake him up a little bit. I don’t know if that happened, but I keep praying that my uncle’s belief in the sanctity of all human life will change our president’s heart. I hope everyone will join me in praying for a change of heart for the president.
"Legal abortion has turned into genocide for the African American community. The man with his hand on my Uncle Martin’s Bible is aiding and abetting this terrible injustice" (Dr. Alveda King, 2/7/13).
- Click to Email Pa's Congressional Delegation, regarding positions backed by the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, including Justice for Immigrants (cf., also see Human Life Action's 12/16/16 email.)
- Starting Off on the Wrong Foot?: "The House on Friday voted to begin the process of repealing ObamaCare, despite defections from some Republicans wary of rushing ahead.... Lawmakers voted largely along party lines, 227-198, to approve a budget resolution that’s serving as a vehicle to unwind the healthcare law....The nine Republicans who voted against the budget resolution were Reps. Justin Amash (Mich.), Charlie Dent (Pa.), Brian Fitzpatrick (Pa.), Walter Jones (N.C.), John Katko (N.Y.), Raul Labrador (Idaho), Tom MacArthur (N.J.), Thomas Massie (Ky.) and Tom McClintock (Calif.)" (The Hill, 1/13/17)
- Rep. Brian Fitzpatrick has NOT signed on as a co-sponsor of H.R.354 ("To provide for a moratorium on Federal funding to Planned Parenthood Federation of America, Inc."). While reliably pro life members of the Pa delegation like Keith Rothfus have signed on, the Lepanto Institute (1/13/17) warns that the wording is entirely too weak.
- Heartbeat Bill Introduced in Congress: HR 490 Will Move the National Debate from Regulating Abortion to Ending It (Faith2Action, 1/13/17)
- Congressmen introduce bill to block DC assisted suicide (LifeSiteNews, 1/12/17)
- Click to Email all of Bucks County's representatives and senators in Harrisburg, asking for support of issues/legislation backed by the Pa Catholic Conference and/or the Pa Pro Life Federation.
- "3801 Lancaster" and Pa's Act 122 of 2011 (1/14/17)
- Act now to stop assisted suicide (Diocese of Trenton, 11/4/16)
- Email USCCB President Cardinal DiNardo, USCCB Pro Life Chair Cardinal Dolan, Archbishop Chaput, and National Catholic Bioethics Center President John Haas, PhD, STL
- Email Archbishop Chaput about our "Catholic" hospitals
- "Please send a message to the AMA today asking them to support the dignity of every person and the need for supportive and comprehensive end of life care" (Pa Catholic Conference).
- Boycott Target and boycotts/actions from America Needs Fatima and the National Center on Sexual Exploitation