- Contact/encourage President Trump....
- Mixed Signals on Religious Freedom/Conscience Rights!
- "The new administration's decision not to rescind [President Obama's] Executive Order 13672 is troubling and disappointing. The Executive Order is deeply flawed, and its many problems are outlined in our statement from 2014. The Church steadfastly opposes all unjust discrimination, and we need to continue to advance justice and fairness in the workplace. Executive Order 13672, however, creates problems rather than solves them. In seeking to remedy instances of discrimination, it creates new forms of discrimination against people of faith. Keeping the Executive Order intact is not the answer. We hope that the Administration will be open to continued conversations to find ways to advance the cause of justice and respect the conscience rights of all people" (Archbishop Chaput and Archbishop Lori, 2/1/17)
- The USCCB is urging us to contact President Trump:
"I write to urge you to sign an Executive Order respecting religious freedom....
Elements of such an Order should include, at a minimum:
- Relief from the mandate of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) that forces the Little Sisters of the Poor and others to facilitate the provision of contraception, sterilization, and abortion-inducing drugs and devices in their health plans.
- Preservation of tax-exempt status for nonprofits that hold beliefs based on marriage, human sexuality, and the protection of human life at all stages.
- The ability of religious organizations that partner with the federal government to act according to their beliefs regarding marriage, human sexuality, and the protection of human life at all stages.
- A broad religious exemption to Executive Order 13672 so that faith-based organizations can continue to partner with the federal government to provide much-needed services here at home and abroad.
- The ability of religiously affiliated child welfare providers to provide adoption, foster, or family support services for children in accordance with their religious beliefs.
- Protection of accreditation for religious schools based on their beliefs.
- Conscience protections regarding abortion in the individual health insurance market.
Any Executive Order should make it clear that religious freedom entails more than the freedom to worship but also includes the ability to act on one's beliefs. It should also protect individuals and families who run closely-held businesses in accordance with their faith to the greatest extent possible" (Urge President Trump to Sign Executive Order Respecting Religious Freedom, USCCB, 2/3/17; also see Human Life Action's Call to Action.)
- "President Donald Trump nominated Judge Neil Gorsuch to fill the seat on the U.S. Supreme Court....Pro-life organizations...were quick to praise the president's selection of someone who they said will 'carry on the legacy' of Scalia" (Catholic News Service, 2/1/17).
- Ignore the attacks on Neil Gorsuch. He’s an intellectual giant — and a good man (Professor Robert George, 2/1/17)
- The White House is sharing a petition backing Judge Gorsuch for the Supreme Court: https://www.whitehouse.gov/support-nominee-gorsuch?utm_source=email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=20170203_Gov_SCOTUS_neil-gorsuch_email_1#page
- "I strongly support a refugee program that is safe for refugees and the communities that welcome them....urge the President to reevaluate the Executive Order. The proposed changes to the resettlement program are contrary to our country’s values and ideals of freedom, fairness, and compassion" (USCCB, 1/31/17)
- USCCB Pro Life Chairman Applauds Reestablishment of Mexico City Policy (USCCB, 1/23/17)
- "a repeal of key provisions of the Affordable Care Act ought not be undertaken without the concurrent passage of a replacement plan that ensures access to adequate health care for the millions of people who now rely upon it for their wellbeing" (USCCB, 1/18/17).
Click to Email Pa's congressional delegation, regarding federal positions backed by our bishops (cf., Pa Catholic Conference, USCCB, USCCB's Justice for Immigrants,
Human Life Action, Human Life Action's 12/16/16 email.)
call and email U.S. Senators Bob Casey and Pat Toomey and let them know
you want them to support Neil Gorsuch for the Supreme Court. We
recommend you call the Washington office and at least one of the local
offices. If you get a recording, please leave a message. If the voice
mailbox is full, try again later and make sure you send a written
message through the link at the bottom of the phone list.
"Here are the numbers to call for Senator Casey:
(202) 224-6324--Washington office
(610) 782-9470--Allentown office
(814) 357-0314--Bellefonte office
(814) 874-5080--Erie office(215) 405-9660--Philadelphia office
(717) 231-7540--Harrisburg office
(412) 803-7370--Pittsburgh office
(570) 941-0930--Scranton office
"To send a written message to Senator Casey, go to his contact form here.
"Here are the numbers to call for Senator Toomey:
(202) 224-4254--Washington office
(610) 434-1444--Allentown office
(814) 453-3010--Erie office
(717) 782-3951--Harrisburg office
(814) 266-5970--Johnstown office(412) 803-3501--Pittsburgh office
(215) 241-1090--Philadelphia office
(570) 941-3540--Scranton office
"To send a written message to Senator Toomey, go to his contact form here" (Pa Pro Life Federation, 2/1/17)
- Click to Email all of Bucks County's representatives and senators in Harrisburg, asking for support of issues/legislation backed by the Pa Catholic Conference and/or the Pa Pro Life Federation.
- Urgent legislative alert--Dismemberment abortion ban up for a vote--please call and email PA Senators (Pa Pro Life Federation, 2/4/16)
- Act now to stop assisted suicide (Diocese of Trenton, 11/4/16)